No designer or tailor can make clothes without the use of accessories. There are a huge variety of them for various clothes, hats, shoes. Today we will talk about how to install the pocket reinforcers.
The pocket reinforcer rivet is a nail and a head. When installing the caps, the studs are securely fastened inside the cap. This makes it possible to firmly fasten the seams of leather products and dense fabrics. Cpocket reinforcers are often used for decorative purposes. They are attached to wallets, belts and watch straps, bags, clutches, collars for animals, shoes and clothes.
pocket reinforcers are of two types: one-sided ones have a flat base-carnation and a rounded or curly cap; on double-sided, the front side and the reverse side of the stud look the same.
How to install pocket reinforcers
Of course, it is very convenient to install the pocket reinforcers on the press. But there are also ways how to manually install pocket reinforcers at home.
You will need:
- pocket reinforcers of the required size.
- Hammer / mallet.
- Manual crown (bit)
- Rivet press with matching attachments.
- The product on which the pocket reinforcer will be attached.
Three options for installing pocket reinforcer:
1. We make a hole with an awl, thread a nail into it, cover it with a hat and carefully make a few blows with a hammer (preferably with a silicone or wooden head). Despite the fact that with such an installation of the pocket reinforcer, the semicircular shape of the cap is lost and flattened, the method is very common due to its accessibility and simplicity. It should be remembered that the length of the leg must be greater than the thickness of the fabric or leather on which we install the pocket reinforcer, but not too long, otherwise the nail will be deformed, which will affect the appearance of the riveting.
2. Installation of pocket reinforcer with the use of a hand press with special attachments. Fittings of different diameters require the use of their own attachment (punch). The disadvantage of this method is that, due to the size of the press itself, it may be difficult to install the riveting close to the edge of the product.
3. How to install pocket reinforcer using hand crowns (bits). This will require some professional skills. We pass the pocket reinforcer nail into the prepared hole on the fabric, cover the hat with a special crown and fasten the parts with a mallet or hammer with a few gentle blows.
If you are interested in how to set the pocket reinforcers for the skin, all of these methods work great with leather goods.
How to install the pocket reinforcers manually
The easiest way to do it yourself is to use metal pocket reinforcers. They are, as a rule, made from alloys of various light metals, they are durable and do not flatten from impacts.
Choose a place to install the pocket reinforcer on the material and mark it with a pen or pencil, it is better to do this in places where the fabric is double or triple folded, so the riveting will be stronger. Use a ruler for more accurate measurements. As the saying goes, measure seven times - cut once.
Place the product on a firm work surface. It is recommended to work on a wooden worktop so as not to scratch the fittings. Make sure the table is stable and not wobbly.
In the place marked with a pencil, we pierce the material with an awl or make a hole with a hole punch. Then we insert a nail, put on a hat over it (they should connect freely), put it on top of the bit and strike it strictly vertically, hammer the rivet with a hammer with short and precise blows. You can do without a bit, then you should use a soft head hammer. Do not hit with all your might, do it carefully, otherwise you will simply break the pocket reinforcer.
The installation of double-sided pocket reinforcer is essentially no different from the installation of one-sided. But if you are using a press, you will need special attachments.
Be prepared to be disappointed with the result of manually fitting the pocket reinforcers. It`s better to appeal in an atelier or workshop using the appropriate professional equipment.